I had so much fun reading Courtney Milan’s Once Upon A Marquess that I now want to go back and finish Trade Me and The Suffragate Scandal, and also The Countess Conspiracy which I suspect I will love!
I’m just going to list all the things that made me like this one:
- That it’s Christian who’s obviously in love with Judith at the start of the story
- That Christian’s Marquess-ness plays absolutely no part in the story!
- That Christian is odd in a way that’s definitely odd rather than being cute
- That Christian and Judith communicate with each other, openly and honestly, throughout the book
- That Judith’s relationship with her brother and sister gets the same air time as her relationship with Christian which fleshes out her character and gives coherence to her choices
- That Theresa and Benedict, the sister and brother, are also decidedly odd in a rather non plot-moppet way!
- That the story unfolds against the aftermath of the Opium Wars—which makes me want to re-read Sea of Poppies and finish-up the rest of Amitav Ghosh’s Ibis trilogy!
- That Christian and Judith banter as two gay geese! And that this bantering reveals, like nothing else could have, how finely attuned they are to each other
- That you can get really, really angry with your loved ones and wish them to Hades and still love them
- That Christian’s accusations of treason against Anthony, Judith’s elder brother, did not turn out to be a namby-pamby decoy-ishy plot device
I can’t wait to read the rest of this series!
What about you? Have you read Once Upon A Marquess?